Monday, February 24, 2014

Bronson Arroyo Signing

Being a Red Sox fan, every member of the 2004 team has retained a special place in my heart, especially since I was only 10 when they won. This is especially true for Arroyo, whose humility, generosity, hippy-ness, all around awesomeness, plus ability as a baseball player have made him one of my favorites in the majors today.  As a result, I was watching his pursuit of a 2014 team closely and carefully until he signed a 2 yr, $23.5M deal 12 days ago. Let's take a look and see if my guitar-playing hero is worth that cash

Age: 37 --> 5 years into his "ratings decline" Man, there is a lot of love for old guys this year
MLB Years: 11
Contract: 2 years, $23.5M guaranteed, $11M club option ($4.5M buyout) That's a lot of dough for an old, off-speed type pitcher.  

Last Year:  32 starts, 14-12, 202 IP (2 CG), 3.79 ERA, 124 K,  1.15 WHIP,  3.65 K/BB

Arroyo, 2013: 3.80 WAR, worthy of $10M per year
Contract: 2 years, $23.5M guaranteed
Verdict: The trend of overpaying for old guys continues. An egregious oversight? No, but I'd love it if someone payed me $3.5 million dollars to throw a baseball, let alone $3.5 million more than I earned. That being said, if Old Reliable stays reliable, I think this is probably about as close as you're going to see to a player "getting what he deserved" in terms of money.

No comments:

Post a Comment